Faulkner Civic Centre
215 Wright Street, Belmont, WA
Bollig Design Group
Faulkner Civic Precinct Community Centre has been established by The City of Belmont to deliver integrated cultural and community services to a disadvantaged community. The Faulkner Civic Centre will comprise a district library, museum, senior citizens centre and much more across four levels.
After a competitive tender process, it was an honour to be selected against six other builders.
- Dewatering, transferring and monitoring 4 million litres of water per day during the basement excavation and construction works. Mature trees within the protection zone are being closely monitored to ensure their survival as the water table is displaced
- Highly complicated construction methods are required on each floor to create the large open spans utilising a mix of in situ beams, post tension beams, pre-tension slabs and a polished concrete topping. This process takes approximately 28 days per slab to complete (compared to 10 days with most traditional suspended slabs)
- Highly complicated façade combining several different materials (Curtain walling, Kingspan cladding, shingles and aluminium panels). The slanting slab soffits and structural steel design of the façade are all angled differently around the building
- Noise and vibration issues due to the close proximity of the existing civic centre
- Only two access points to site
- Fully integrated Building Management system and tuning processes
- Waste management must conform to Green Star standards.
“Realising the potential of this challenging project requires incredible teamwork. We hold frequent meetings with all contractors and structural trades including structural steel, in situ concrete & reo workers, form workers, pre-tension slabs, post tension beams and polished concrete contractors.
The complicated façade is being carefully managed through coordination meetings with window, roofing and cladding contractors. Our program and resourcing are reviewed and updated daily, while traffic management to all sides of the building is successfully overcoming access issues.”
Jason Kunkler, General Manager.
Highlights so far
We proudly completed the basement and the dewatering process 4 weeks ahead of program.
Features of development
Faulkner Civic Centre will feature the following amenities across 4 levels:
- District Library
- Digital Hub
- Senior Citizens Centre
- Not for profit organisations
- Café / Restaurant
- Communal outdoor spaces.
The project is targeting a 5 Star Green Star accreditation.