Jason Thomson, General Manager Get to know PACT’s GM Jason’s history with PACT goes way back…
Mills Park Centre
TYPE OF PROJECT
The Mills Park Centre is the first as-built rated 6 Star Green Star public building in Australia. This mixed-use facility has become the cornerstone of the ambitious 24-hectare Mills Park redevelopment being undertaken by the City of Gosnells. The redevelopment has seen the community facility integrated within new grounds including community piazza areas, skate park and nature play areas as well as redeveloped sporting facilities. It was designed by Hodge Collard Preston Architects.
We won the project through a competitive tender process.
- The highly polished precast concrete panels were not allowed to have any lifting lugs or points in the exposed panel faces. This required creative lifting designs and propping solutions to overcome this constraint.
- Due to challenges with the timing of the manufacture and delivery of the highly polished precast concrete panels from Delta, we were required to re-sequence their installation so as not to lose program time.
- The large mechanical plant needed to service the building (as well as deliver the 6 Star Green Star as built rating) required extensive associated plant and equipment including tanks, boilers, air handling units, pump sets, etc. Our team had to leave sections of structural steelwork and roof open to allow for continual delivery of these large elements of plant and equipment. Once in place, the steelwork and roof could be completed.
- ESD / Green Star initiatives included a Bubbledeck for the Level 1 suspended slab (a concrete saving option to contribute to Green Star). The structural steel frame was supplied and fabricated by an Australian steel supplier / fabricator as per Green Star requirements. The two-way skillion roof structure allowed the roof insulation to sit within the purlins for the required rating.
- Highly polished custom exposed aggregate precast concrete panels were polished to such a degree that paint cannot stick to them, making them very low maintenance and harder to graffiti. The panels were so specialised that only one supplier in Western Australia could achieve the design required finish. The panels were polished using the only large automated flatbed polishing machine in the state.
FEATURES OF DEVELOPMENT
In keeping with PACT’s quality craftsmanship, there are high level finishings to all areas, including feature concrete precast wall panels to ground floor areas alongside highly polished feature concrete precast columns. The upper level sees the use of aluminium composite cladding and full height glazing, along with stainless steel balustrades and sun smart screening. The building also includes architecturally finished steel columns and screening.
The high-quality internal finishes, including polished concrete and tiles, has created durable and contemporary spaces for the community and staff of the building to occupy. Importantly, all materials have been selected to conform with green certification requirements.
The facility went through a rigorous design process, which resulted in a 6 Star Green Star Green Building Council of Australia design certification being awarded at the first attempt – an extremely rare achievement. The building boasts a very high services specification, with energy efficient mechanical and electrical services throughout to help achieve the 6 Star Green Star rating, including the installation and use of extensive solar power.