87 Robert Street, Como, WA
Edition Como is a 1113m² multi-residential development situated in the Canning Bridge Activity Centre Plan (CBACP) area. The 6-level building will consist of 23 apartments, a resident’s lounge and associated under croft and basement parking.
We negotiated the project with Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) in conjunction with Parcel Property.
The challenges at Edition Como included:
- Constructing a basement (including piling) in a highly built-up residential area
- Operating through just one 20m-wide access face, with the other three boundaries blocked off by existing houses. This created delivery, traffic management and logistical issues
- Constructing a 5-storey building amongst low rise housing required careful and ongoing resident management.
“Communication with all stakeholders is something our collaborative team relies upon heavily to overcome both foreseen and unforeseen challenges on site. Planning and coordination meetings are held daily, while the client is consulted on a weekly basis to maximise the potential of all partnerships.”
Jason Kunkler, General Manager.
- The structure was completed on program utilising 14 working day floor-to-floor cycles for typical floors
- The 23 apartments are all of an extremely high quality featuring Miele appliances, porcelain bench tops and premium fixtures and fittings throughout
- Stunning city, river and Perth escarpment panoramic views from most apartments within the complex
- The building achieved a 5 Star Green Star rating.
Features of development
Architecturally designed by MJA Studio, this development is a high-quality design response to an area beginning the transformation from a low-scale residential environment to a vibrant mixed and multi-storey precinct.
Located at 87 Robert Street Como, the apartments provide a diverse range of housing opportunities from 52m² one-bedroom dwellings to 122m² three-bedroom dwellings.
The built form was designed with consideration of the future development potential of adjacent sites in mind. It incorporates the curvilinear forms of the Art Deco buildings of Como and South Perth into a contemporary context. The design works with shadow and contrast to create an aesthetically pleasing building that sets a benchmark for future development in the CBACP area.
The building has been designed with solar access and the ability for natural ventilation in mind. Glazing has been maximised where possible to the north. A sustainability assessment has also been included as part of this development satisfying the requirement of the CBACP to achieve 5 Green Star equivalency.
The site enjoys river and city views to the north and west. The long northern boundary affords plenty of opportunities for northern sun to most apartments. The site is extremely well connected to public transport with 2 bus stops within a 30 metres radius connecting the site to the city and Curtin University. Canning Bridge Station is within a 10-minute walk.